Some initial thoughts on my action research design as I get ready to write up the study methods and timeline:
- Since I already have data to look through, I’m starting to focus in on a mixed method study, looking at past data and teacher feedback to plan out future sessions for comparison.
- Since we have data to start with, I’m planning on an exploratory mixed-method design.
- I think exploratory is more beneficial in the long run because I’m interested in mechanisms and structures which increase implementation of ideas by teachers, not just explaining why they do or don’t implement.
- We’re finishing workshops this year and already planning for summer work. If I can identify some patterns and structures and correlate the level of implementation, we’ll have a good starting point for aligning all PD, not just my teams, to the new structures using data-backed conclusions.
- Given the timeframe, gathering consent forms right now is difficult, considering we’re coming up on spring break and the testing windows. Doing aggregate, anonymized data analysis will allow us to draft a descriptive letter before the summer PD series begins and we can make informed consent a part of the workshop instead of a mass email.