The first week of ds106 is coming to a close, and I needed to finish my design work for the week. I clicked on “try a random assignment” and got the D&D Monster Manual assignment. I’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons, but the imagination and storytelling that go into the game are very attractive. (On a side note, if you’re near South Bend, I’d love to learn how to play some time.)
As Ben Rimes is 100% responsible for introducing me to ds106, it was only fitting that he become my monster.
This project took me a long time because the mage I pulled was just a line drawing. I also had to re-learn how to select out different parts of the image as layers to get clean colors. To add to the complexity, I had to play with the fill opacity and style to get the grainy look. I’m not 100% happy with the color in the lettering, but it would have been too hard to read if I had done it lighter. Finally, GIMP’s fonts aren’t so wonderful. But, GIMP does tie into my Mac’s system fonts, so I went online and grabbed one for the front from fonts101.com, and Dosis for the back from Google’s Web Font repository. Both free, both now living on my computer for use whenever I want.
The story part was a lot of fun. I had to do a lot of research into how D&D actually works with monsters (and I’m still not sure I got it right), but thinking up how it would act based on how I know Ben was a fun extension. There’s probably also some kind of backstory in there that I might come back to some day.
If you want to grab the .xcf files, here’s the front, and then the reverse.Written on May 24th, 2013 by Brian Bennett Categorized in: Creative ds106