Power in Online Video

I've had a crazy week. On Tuesday and Thursday I worked with Brett Clark and Brian Bobbitt sharing the Flipped Classroom with almost 100 teachers and administrators across the district. It was an insane couple of days, but everything came together (including a student panel...they were awesome) and I think everyone that participated learned something new.

I got home on Thursday night and spent some time reflecting on my use of video this year in relation to last year and how it has expanded into something much more than delivering instruction. The power of video on the internet is much, much greater than delivery of content.

I use a flipped classroom and a core tenet of what I do is use online video to deliver direct instruction to my students. But, this isn't good enough. At the end of the day, they're still consuming more information than they're putting out on the web.

My goal for the remainder of the semester is to not only use video for instruction, but use video for connections. I want my kids to be responsive to what they watch online. I want them to think critically about what they see and then turn around and respond to it. We have blogs set up, and those will also be a major component of the process.

I feel like this is a major turning point in my teaching. I know that reflection and creation is important, but it has been an ancillary goal rather than the central idea to my teaching. I know I can't expect this to happen overnight, but I'm excited about the learning ahead.

8 thoughts on “Power in Online Video

1. Have you thought of having them make screencasts, or using Voicethread to let them interact with your vids? I’ve done the former quite a bit and have thought about the latter a bunch.

The most I’ve done thus far is having them reflect on a video in their blog. I’m going to begin trying to pull in other avenues for connection. VoiceThread is an obvious choice for that, so I’m going to be doing some research on how to use it well in my class. And yes, they’ve made their own screencasts on a variety of topics, and we’re going to be starting that up with a larger scope next month.

2. Joe Larson says:

So far my experience with video responses is they are more time to set up and execute than they are worth when a text comment is faster to produce and faster to consume. Comments on blogs and on the videos are a GREAT place for feedback. Just make that available.

I agree that video responses aren’t always cost-effective. I’m more interested in pulling in other video that ties into the curriculum or exposes them to other ideas more frequently. Much of the reflection would happen on blogs…maybe with some video responses, but not always.

3. John sowash says:

One of the tools that i would like to see developed and improved is the video discussion board. This would provide a more personal flavor to asynchronous class discussions.

Although it has improved, I still feel that video creation in general is difficult for students without certain devices.

Tech availability is definitely a big issue. We’re 1:1 with netbooks in the district, so I can assign something like a video response project. But, in schools or districts that aren’t, teachers would have to get pretty creative to do the same.

4. Eric Watt says:

We are moving to a 1:1 with students having tablets next year (not iPads) what are some other activities you do to take advantage of all students having access?

5. Audrey says:

I use voicethread for all of my lessons, whether they are made up of slides or a video. That way you get the quick, intuitive responses because they don’t have to go anywhere else to give it. Plus they can ese what others have said, again without navigating anywhere else. If they have their own accounts, they can even make their own voicethreads too, from just a simple powerpoint, which most of them have on their computers.